Thursday, February 10, 2011

Walking with God...

Have you ever had interruptions to your plans?  I recently completed a study at church about Jonah. it was all about his "Divine Interruption" in his life.  I never thought of it as that until doing that study, but it is so very true.  How many times do we get those in our lives too! 

I remember my biggest interupption.  It came through infertility.  I had a plan.  I was going to start a family.  We had been preparing for it.  I had a PLAN!  Everybody else got to do it, so naturally I should be next.  Didn't happen.  I couldn't understand it.  WHY was this happening to me was all I could say.  God was continually hearing the same prayer day after day..."why God why".  I'm sure I sounded like quite the broken record at the time.  When we have set backs like that though, it causes confusion to us in so many ways.  Our flesh goes into major confusion because we can't figure out anything.  We always feel like we are in control (even though we know deep down we are not), or maybe "like" to "feel like" we are in control.  So when something happens we didn't plan for, it doesn't set well us.

That's how I was.  I just couldn't understand how all of my plans had come to a screeching halt and there was NOTHING I could do about it.  And that frustrated me even more.  BUT, something happened along the way.  I was at a staff meeting off site with the department I worked for at our church.  We were praying and my boss began to pray over me that I would just take a walk with Jesus and allow Him to speak into my life about what was going on and allow Him to begin to change my heart through it.  At the time I didn't want to take that walk because I didn't understand why it was happening and I was mad about it.  I wanted to be angry and confused because it didn't make sense to me.  I still wanted to be in control and the fact that I couldn't control anything happening to me made it even worse.

But then one day...yes, I decided to take that walk.  Oh glad I am that I did.  It took me laying down my reigns and opening myself up to hear what God might be saying to me right now.  So I did it.  I took that walk with God and He began to change my heart from the inside out.  He began to turn my desires.  Yes, I still wanted a baby, but I wanted HIM more than anything else.  He used that "interupption" to draw me to Himself in a way that I would never have found Him otherwise.  He gave me the courage and the strength to lay my desires at His feet and leave them there.  And then He began to fill my heart with so much of Himself that I could honestly say I didn't care if I ever had a child because what I found with Him was worth so much more.  I would have NEVER been able to say that in my heart had I not took that walk with Him.  My gaze turned from my desires to seeking Him above anything else. 

Now I tell you all of this to say that maybe you have had an interupption to your life you weren't expecting.  it could be big, it could be small.  It's an interupption nonetheless and it has thrown a kink in your plans you had laid out.  You may be angry, you might be sad, you may be frustrated trying to figure it all out and fix it.  But God is extending that same invitation to you as He did to me those years ago.  He is asking you to come and take that walk with Him and allow Him to speak over you and into your heart into that very spot you are holding on so tightly to now.  We have to open up our grip we have over what's going on in our lives and allow Him to take it from us and then let Him begin to transform those deepest, darkest places in our hearts into something beautiful.  Because that's what He does when we let it go.  He took my deepest longing of my heart for a child and turned it into a passionate pursuit of Him.  I found HIM through my pain and the anguish of my heart.  And that's what He wants to show you too.  He wants you to find HIM through what you're going through. 

So I pray today that whatever your "Divine interupption" is, that you would lay it down for a moment and let Him take you by the hand and lead you on that walk, where the two of you can talk and He can begin to show you Himself through your situation.  I can PROMISE you that you won't be disappointed by what you find there.  If you will allow Him, He will change your heart through it and you will forever be changed. 

Keep pressing...
~Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment